Tips for proper record keeping when claiming on home insurance
Although home insurance policyholders are entitled to be given money for repairs, damage or theft, there are still certain processes that policyholders would have to go through to get their claim approved. Filing for a home insurance claim is quite easy though if you have the proper records and all supporting data regarding your claim. It is worth bearing in mind these following tips:
- Call your insurer as soon as possible and open your claim right then and there. The insurance company’s customer service representative will guide you on policy-specific details as well as schedule an inspection of your home. These company representatives will even assist you by getting the services your home would need whatever the situation calls for.
- In case of theft or vandalism, you should immediately inform the authorities. Getting a copy of their official report is the most important thing so that you have supporting documents about the damage that your home suffered from.
- Listing all of the damaged items or in case of a burglary, the lost items in your home is also essential. It is also good if you have a photographed inventory of everything that is inside your home because this will hasten the approval of your claim.
- Your property should have all the damaged areas photographed if it has suffered damage. You might need to supply these to your insurer once you have filed for a homeowner insurance claim. A duplicate of these photos or even video is a good idea in case there is a need to hire a public adjuster to help you with your claim.
- When making temporary repairs, you should ensure that you keep all the receipts of the things you had to buy and services you had to pay for. These receipts will be your evidence that you used your own money to keep the home from further damage as well as evidence for the insurance company to reimburse the money you had to spend.
- You may need to relocate if the damage that has been done to your home is too extensive. It is important that you keep all your hotel receipts so that your home insurance company will pay for these expenses.
Home insurance claims are fairly easy to be approved if you have all the necessary documents on hand.